Monday, May 2, 2011

Cinco de Mayo Recipe

I got this recipe from a friend of mine that is a caterer, so you know it's good. ;) She calls it "Texas Caviar" but I will give 10 points to whoever can think of a better name for it.  It's like a black bean and corn salsa or salad that is an entire meal (with chips) on its own.  Oh, and you definitely need to make it at least half a day ahead if you can't do it the day ahead.  It gets better with age.  So, here goes.


Texas Caviar (Corn and Black Bean Salad)
2 Cans Corn – rinsed and drained
2 Cans Black Beans – rinsed and drained
1 Can White Hominy – rinsed and drained
2 Bunches Green Onions – chopped
1 Bunch Cilantro – chopped
1 (6 oz) Can Diced Green Chiles (or 2 (4 oz) cans)
12 Roma Tomatoes – chopped (or 2-3 cans Rotel or similar)
2 Teaspoons (heaping) JalepeƱos (or more, to taste)
Sprinkle of Crushed Red Pepper
Garlic Salt – to taste
Onion Salt – to taste
Pepper – to taste
2 Pkgs. Italian Dressing
        Sprinkle 1 mixture in dry
        Prepare 1 mixture according to directions and pour in 

MARINATE OVERNIGHT
3-6 Avocados – diced and mixed in just before serving (depending on your avocado preference)

SERVE WITH TORTILLA CHIPS

This stuff is delicious.  My whole family ate it.  It makes like 3 quarts, so Matt and I ate it for lunch for several days, and I was able to share a couple of servings with people.  Another great thing is that you can alter it to your preferences or what you have on hand, but I think it's best how it is.

Buena Suerte!

5 comments:

  1. I was just thinking about what to make for Cinco de Mayo. This sounds delicious, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just about the same recipe Krista gave me when we stayed with them in Utah - so good. I tasted yours and gobbled it all up, too! Good recipes just can't be kept down by a little thing like mileage. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no creativity when it comes to naming recipes. I usually just call it by a list of its ingredients.
    But I propose that we call this dish
    "Arizona Caviar" since bean & corn salsa is kind of a turn off.
    I really hope someone comes up with something better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me clarify that I've been calling it bean & corn salsa and it just hit me that I need a new name for this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to keep posting comments about this delicious dish but I just can't help it :)

    We took a vote last night here at our house and have decided that we'll call it "Cowboy Caviar". That name is easy to say & remember and sounds fun (to us, anyway).
    Oh, the joys of living (& eating) in the wild west!

    ReplyDelete